Monday 3 April 2023

5P - Thoughts On - The Third Edition of 5 Parsecs from Home Pt2, plus Mindjammer

 Hi Everybody,

                       The first article on this subject was typed in December 2021, a while back now. The reason for revisiting the topic is that I have finally bought a copy of the third edition in hardback from my local gaming store, Weyland's Forge. Here is their  Facebook Page, in Birmingham UK. As a bonus, I found some mercenary and Goblin figures. They have loads of books and board games to choose from. Brushes and paints for models too.

                     You can find a breakdown of the book https://hws3.wordpress.com/2022/11/22/review-five-parsecs-from-home-3rd-edition/  on Andy Slack's gaming blog. I have only had one read through so far, so I am not sure of what they have left out of the early versions of Five Parsecs. I have the "Salvage Jobs" expansion, plus "Another Star" world creation kit and the Play Aids 0.12, but I have not checked to see if they are compatible with Edition 3. It may be possible that "Starport Scum" has been added to it in some form or another.

 I have joined the "Five Parsecs Fans" Facebook page. I do not know if there is a conversion sheet for the different versions. There was a small part from converting two to three in the book. There are now two expansion packs on the Modiphious Entertainment webpage. I will add a link later. 

The next day - I was looking for the link when I stumbled across the mini review of the old Mindjammer RPG. It looks interesting, so I am going to take a quick look on Youtube and see what some of the gang on there make of it. There may even be actual play sessions, if I'm lucky. I did find a couple of reviews and an actual play to have a look at.

 LATER - After watching the first episode. -  The setting looks interesting, but the game uses FATE rules, which I am not overly keen on. I did find some info on drivethroughrpg to dig into.

I have some bits of Warhammer scenery to glue and paint to add to my terrain scatter.


Regards all,


Ivor Cogdell

1 comment:

  1. Was I wrong to put the fate rules down, bearing in mind I would be playing solo not with a games master. Possibly I could use mythic?
    Ivor Cogdell

    ReplyDelete