Thursday 15 February 2024

Making and painting a Barricade / Shelter Base - Updated 23/02/2024.

 Hi Everyone, 

                     I was flicking through my photos and came across these photos of a scratch-built barricade part shelter I had thrown together, which would be suitable for most settings and I thought you might like a look.



I could have added more roof cover, but then it would have been harder working out the line of sight.


It was constructed from a bit of curved plastic I had found lying about and leftovers
from a laser-cut building project and some model sprues, clay was added around the
base with a bit of moss thrown on, and then painted in post-apocalypse style. Add a
bit of debris on the floor, sand mixed with a light wash of dark paint. 

That is how the barricade remained, for a while. Then, on reflection, I decided that the
defences needed to be beefed up slightly, as the side did not provide enough protection. I
grabbed a few more planks and lolly sticks and away I went again.

I added another front panel.


Plus a support made from a lolly stick.



I added some protection at the windows and some battle scars on the sides.


Someone is doing lone sentry duty. Who did he annoy? Are the survivor numbers getting low?


"I might as well get comfy in here".

"A board to stop critters climbing in easily. That's good".



A bit more paint and blood on there.




Finally, I added a removable barricade for good measure, just in time. He has visitors.

"What's this? What's your business?"




"ALARM ! ALARM!"

Lizard Folk are on the attack.


Will he survive? I leave that up to your imagination to decide.

Here I prepare the base for it.


A painted hardboard base. Smooth down the edges with a craft knife.

 

These are hardboard Laser Cut walls, available at hobby shops. The same effect can be
achieved by sticking two strips of foam core together, scoring them and painting them.
The Square blobs are foam-core, for supports. Foot traffic has churned up the ground.

The glue should be covered with sand while wet.

The Barricade in its setting.




Stepping stones at the back.




The Barricade in action.

I hope it gives you an idea of what you can make with your leftovers. Keep all of your offcuts in a container for use later.

Regards all,

Ivor Cogdell
(C) Copyright 2024 Ivor Cogdell.

1 comment:

  1. Will the other guards get there in time? Will he save the day?

    ReplyDelete