Wednesday 8 April 2020

Thoughts on - Very Nasty Phishing - Updated again.

Hi all,
        I spotted a nasty scam the other day (7th April 2020) on my mobile Facebook page. It was supposedly an advert from Netflix, offering three months free tv in response to the Covid 19 virus. I thought Yaaay, good on them, I can watch some nice movies that I have missed.

Scrolling down, it asked me to enter my bank details for verification purposes. This is where I saw a red flag and got suspicious. Just to be on the safe side, I contacted Netflix by PC chat line, a very nice chap named Lucas who informed me that they were doing no such offer and that it was a scam.

The dirty rotten scoundrels, trying to get our cash in such a very despicable way. I'm just very glad I double checked it, loosing money is bad enough, but having money stolen from you, well that cuts to the bone. The company was based in Cyprus.

Report any scams to - Phishing@Company name. or phishing@gov.uk.


18 November 2020 UPDATE - The latest couple of scams I have come across are phone ones - 

1) - A robotic voice from an "internet Company" calls you to confirm a bill of £350 going out of your account-"Please press one on your keypad to speak to a Supervisor".   If you do this they can automatically get to your account and take money out.

2) - A variant on this one is that it claims "Your internet has been compromised by a virus and we are going to cut off your service."Please press one on your keypad to speak to a Supervisor".

3) - Another phone scam was a caller stating "Your PPI claim has been approved. You are owed £xxx." They will then try to get your bank details so they they can take money out of your account, not put it in.

In these or similar cases, just put the phone down and disconnect the call.

In instance 3) - Phone your bank to let them know that you have been targeted by fraudsters so that they cacn give you advice and track the spread of the problem.

Please spread this around to all of your friends and family so they are not duped by them.

Stay safe out there everybody, be alert for the scammers.

Ivor Cogdell

No comments:

Post a Comment