Tuesday 26 July 2016

Thoughts - On Star Trek : Beyond

As usual, I had avoided all of the trailers and the magazine articles about the film, as I like to enjoy this cinematic feast of goodies fresh off the screen, not emotionally or visually thinned down by previous exposure to pictures. My 3D specs were cleaned and ready to see what awaited us on the final frontier. Away we go on another Trek.....

PRO'S

* Great sets and acting, as usual.

* Good character bonding.

* Interesting alien races.

* Good continuity to previous films. (The timeline is three years into a five year mission.)

CONS:

* Poor 3D quality.

*  The space battle scenes were too fast and furious. Lets throw the kitchen sink against the Enterprise.

* There was not enough time spent on the Enterprise before it was trashed, yet again. (It was trashed in the Search for Spock, coincidence ?).

*  An unimpressive main baddie. (Not the actors fault, he did well with what he had to work with.)

I came out of the cinema feeling let down.I had expected a red hot enchalada, I got a jalapeno. The whole was less than the sum of its parts. I was not a happy tribble. Do go and see it, it may be just me.

"Live long and watch out for Harry Mudd bearing gifts."

 They reached for the stars but did not achieve warp speed.  5 out of 10.

Ivor

P.S. I have since learned that Simon Pegg and his colaborator wrote the script in about a month, so that was a good effort on his part. So, a revised score of 6 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment